The idea of Savannah hospitality is evident in the 22 historic squares positioned throughout the city. These 22 plots of land are filled with greenery where people can congregate together, sit quietly in the sun or shade, or simply experience beauty. The city once housed 24 squares, two were lost to urban development. Savannah is viewed by many architects as a superb method for urban planning due to these green spaces.
Our bed and breakfast is closest to Forsyth Park which serves as a centralized park for the area of the city formed during expansion. We recommend you visit Forsyth Park but also tour the Squares starting with the original four:
- The oldest and largest of the historic squares
- Named for Robert Johnson who served as the Royal Governor for South Carolina in 1733
- It is surrounded by City Hall and the Christ Episcopal Church, Georgia’s first church
- It contains two fountains, a 50-foot marble obelisk honoring Revolutionary War hero Nathanael Greene, and a sundial dedicated to Colonel William Bull
- Originally named Percival Square but renamed after Georgia’s third and last Royal Governor, Sir James Wright
- The central monument honors William Washington Gordon, founder of the Central of Georgia Railroad. The monument includes four winged figures said to represent agriculture, manufacturing, commerce, and art.
- A granite boulder from Stone Mountain memorializes Native American Chief Tomochichi, leader of the Yamacraws who welcomed the British settlers to the area. At Tomochichi’s request, he was buried among his English friends. His remains are buried in this square.
- The Lutheran Church of Ascension is located on this square
- In 1954, the city built a parking garage on the site of this historic square. Luckily, the square was restored in 2005.
- Originally called Market Square, the new name honors Henry Ellis, the second Royal Governor of Georgia.
- Active visitors will delight in the water fountain that people may run though, the life-size chess set, and bicycles for rent.
- Native Savannahian and writer of “Moon River”, John Herndon “Johnny” Mercer, is immortalized with a statue in this square.
- Crops and goods were sold in this square when it was the “old city market.” Now it is next to the entrance for the City Market.
- Originally called St. James Square, this plot was renamed in 1883 after Edward Telfair, a Scottish immigrant who contributed to the growth of the culture and economy of the area.
- Part of the artistic side of the city, both the Telfair Museum of Art and the Jepson Center for the Arts flank this square.
- The Trinity United Methodist Church also sits along this square.
- Visitors will find two monuments, one honoring the Girl Scouts the other is a chambered nautilus.